To prepare for a shave, wet your skin and hair to help soften it. Cleanse your skin and use a facial scrub to help exfoliate and soften your beard skin. After a shower is a great time to shave as your skin will be freshly cleansed and damp.
Instead of using a dry razor, a wet shave will help you get a closer shave. When your facial hair is wet, it absorbs water into the hair shaft. The more water absorbed into a hair shaft, the softer the hair becomes and the easier it is to get a closer shave. Cleansing and exfoliating before shaving also helps prepare your skin for a smooth and effective shave.
Even more important than the razor you use, is the preparation and technique you use to shave your face. iFollow Kiehl’s tips for a close, comfortable shave:
- Prepare skin: Cleanse and exfoliate with a men's face wash or scrub to help remove excess dirt and oil and soften facial hair.
- Smooth on shave cream: Apply your shave cream using an upward circular motion and leave it on for 2-3 minutes to help soften hairs.
- Go with the grain: Shave with light, gentle strokes in the direction of hair growth. If you have still have stubble, carefully go against the grain for a closer shave
- Rinse frequently: Rinse your razor blade frequently while shaving to help prevent build up.
- Soothe your skin: After shaving, rinse with cool water and let your skin dry before applying an after shave or other formula to soothe skin and help prevent irritation.
After you shave, rinse skin with cool water and apply a skin-soothing after or toners-essence-lotions. Follow with the rest of your skincare routine.