To prepare for a shave, wet your skin and hair to help soften it. Cleanse your skin and use a facial scrub to help exfoliate and soften your beard skin. After a shower is a great time to shave as your skin will be freshly cleansed and damp.
Instead of using a dry razor, a wet shave will help you get a closer shave. When your facial hair is wet, it absorbs water into the hair shaft. The more water absorbed into a hair shaft, the softer the hair becomes and the easier it is to get a closer shave. Cleansing and exfoliating before shaving also helps prepare your skin for a smooth and effective shave.
Even more important than the razor you use, is the preparation and technique you use to shave your face. iFollow Kiehl’s tips for a close, comfortable shave:
- Prepare skin: Cleanse and exfoliate with a men's face wash or scrub to help remove excess dirt and oil and soften facial hair.
- Smooth on shave cream: Apply your shave cream using an upward circular motion and leave it on for 2-3 minutes to help soften hairs.
- Go with the grain: Shave with light, gentle strokes in the direction of hair growth. If you have still have stubble, carefully go against the grain for a closer shave
- Rinse frequently: Rinse your razor blade frequently while shaving to help prevent build up.
- Soothe your skin: After shaving, rinse with cool water and let your skin dry before applying an after shave or other formula to soothe skin and help prevent irritation.
If you are a creative shaver, look for a lightweight, clear shave gel. These formulas can help soften facial hair for a smooth shave while giving more visibility for a precise shave.
After you shave, rinse skin with cool water and apply a skin-soothing after or toners-essence-lotions. Follow with the rest of your skincare routine.